Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thrifty Reader ~ Thrifty Teacher

One of my favorite places is my city library. It is a huge, cool [temperature] place that I can chill out and read. Not only do they have a great children's literature collection, their adult collection is massive. I borrow all of my "grown-up books" from the library. During the year I love audiobooks since I have a lengthy commute...the library has them!  In the Summer time, I am more of a book-by-the-pool girl...library again!  With Summer comes trips, where I ditch the bulky book and slip my Kindle into my overnight bag. Again – library with the win! You can borrow pretty much anything from the library. And if they don't have what you need, they can get it for you. Amazing, and ALL FOR FREE. 

I have set my sights on watching more movies as well..they have those too. Granted, I have had to put myself on the waitlist for some of the more popular ones.


During the school year I read a lot of children's books.  A LOT of them.  I read them all year long, at different parts of the day, for many different purposes.  I concentrate mostly on picture books, of which I have had a small obsession since college.  My collection has grown over the years, although I have become much smarter as to how my collection has grown. Sometimes you need 25 books about insects. Buying all of that doesn't make sense. That is where my good friend, the library, comes in. They allow me to take out numerous books on one topic, such as fairy tales, ants, or bears. I can easily check what they have available and what is checked out by looking online. If they don't have it, and I don't need it the next day for a lesson, I can put in a request through the information desk.


BUT...
 
Sometimes you do just need the purchase. Colorful books look so great stocking your classroom bookshelves, filling the book baskets, and manning their perch at the top of the filing cabinet. Not to mention, students want to read them hundreds of times. The other benefit of my library is the "Friends of the Library" Bookshop. Most books are $1-$10. I think the most I paid for a children's book was $5, and it was for a classic Mo Willems story. You all know you would pay the extra cash for Mo too! I can stock up on some great easy readers for a buck each. I usually browse this shop a few times a week over the summer, save my receipts, and our PTA will reimburse me (I know I am so lucky that they do this), as long as the books become school property. Easy and cheap! I won't worry so much about the multiple readings each title gets, turning it to book dust.

Three of these are hardcover and one is that stiff- library binding. All four books for $6.00!!


Enough shop talk. Here is what I have been reading this summer just for me. That means no character lessons, strategy taught, or turn and talk questions. Just reading for fun! 


 
This was a very graphic story about a girl and her experience in a concentration camp.  Very upsetting, but a well written story. Not a light summer read. 



 
I laughed – I cried. This was a great story about a women who takes a job caring for a man confined to a wheelchair. This was a book club book and people kept telling me how they balled their eyes out. I didn't get it. And then...I did. Good read.
 
This was a typical beach read. Very light, predictable and silly. Nothing that blows your mind, but I did finish it in two days poolside. Beach approved.
 
This one almost lost me. It took awhile to get into it, but once it got going it was hard to stop. This is a great one for a book club. At the end you are dying to find someone who read it and can give you their thoughts/opinion. 
 
I have only just started this, but I am really enjoying it! It is a non-fiction account of a women who makes several changes each month and focuses on those changes to become a happier mother, wife, friend, and woman. Most of the non-fiction I usually read looks more like this: 



(shout out to Kathy Collins- amazing lady!)  

What are your reading (or movie) suggestions?? School or non-school related! 




1 comment: